Sunday, June 23, 2013

Last chance saloon for Etape du Tour training - taper time



We're almost there*. Two weeks to Annecy. Two weeks to Semnoz. It's not a lot.

In theory we're meant to be tapering now. Not slacking off, merely making sure we get the full effect of all our training.

According to my seldom-followed training schedule this involves taking intense sessions and replacing them with more relaxed ones with short bursts of intensity (two or three 20-sec sprints on the flat/hills, a couple of short intervals in a 90 min zone 2 ride and minute-long "how high can my cadence go" efforts downhill in a lowish gear so speed stays safe) mid-week and shorter rides at the weekend of 100-120km.

Of course there are other considerations this close to the event. What to pack, medical certificate, bike service, what food to bring (Matt from Mash the Pedals advises a few of the porridge pots you can buy in supermarkets so all you need to do is pour on hot water and find a spoon on the day), equipment check etc.

There is also the thinking about what to do once you've arrived in Annecy.

The main advice seems to be get the bike built and out on the road asap (for an hour or so). That firstly gets the lungs and legs freed up after the time spent on a plane/car/bus and also lets you find out if your set up/bike has any problems (ride around the lake maybe?).

The day before most people seem to think is a good idea to try the first few kms of the course if possible - just to see the lie of the land and get a feel for the first climb. But, again, not more than an hour or so on the bike.

Oh, and it's probably a good idea to get registered too - remembering to bring your medical certificate/race licence. Which reminds me. I need to get a medical certificate. How do you do that again?

*Water water everywhere
You might notice something different about that course map at the top.

Yup, the nice people at ASO have updated it to include - firstly - all the climb categories (one cat 1 and one HC) and they've also included all the drink and food stops.

Eight of them!

King of the Downs was longer and only had three!

Now I'm bad at drinking, I only got through one and a half bottles of drink on my last ride (a 117km ride along much of the Olympic road race route when being taken out for a ride with blog reader David - and lovely to meet him) so that's an awful lot of places to stop.

I'm thinking ignore the first one (20km in, there's no way I'll need water unless I lose both bidons somehow). Possibly the second one too (34km in). Check water supplies at the fourth (65km in and at the bottom of Revard - it would be good to have enough water for that and eat something that I've brought with me) then grab some more food and re-fill the water at the top 77km in.

There's another food stop at 109km, just before Semnoz starts, and a water stop a third of the way up it. I get the feeling I might need both of those.

The next watering hole will likely be Captain's pub in Annecy after I've got back to the hotel (hopefully un-broomed) changed and grabbed some food - although the "Captain's Burger" is meant to be quite good there - everyone's welcome to join me to tell tales of the road and make bad super-hero related "Captain" puns.

14 comments:

  1. It was good meeting you boys.

    As I said, we are free for a cruisey 140k ride and it won't be at my pace !!! My GF would like to meet you guys so come along

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "medical certificate" - I have to get an Xray (because of a surgery, both legs, and a spirometry test)

    Get down to your GP asap, tell him straight any issues he might be interested in, and sort it out asap again. This is the most single important thing in the whole race, or you wont be able to start at all :)
    (appointments, appointments, and the lack of them, grrrr...)

    Re: water, if the weather gets hotter than what we'r used to here in UK (13-21C- my cycling temp., maybe 23 on a sunny day) its important to consciously drink more often. Will decide on the actual day.

    For you to meet another real flesh and bones reader of your blog, will try to get to that Captain's on Sunday :)

    Training's over. Time to relax :)

    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there my fellow Pen 11-er

    I think they've put out extra water stops to try to offset the carnage of 13,000 riders trying to get fresh supplies.

    There's a downloadable medical certificate on the etape website. The translation's a bit ropey, but my doc still signed it!

    Full of nervous energy now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to say thanks very much for writing this blog. I have been silently reading and smiling at your posts for a few months now and can't thank you enough. I live in the US and this will be my first Etaupe.

    Hopefully I will be able to stay ahead of the Broom wagon and share a pint with you boys after the race (I grew up in Northolt before moving to the US). I am riding this race with a torn labrum in my right hip which my physician assures me is not going to get any worse as long as I don't mind the pain and is headed for surgery anyway. So if you pass a guy with looking like he is in pain with a strange hybrid Brit/Yank accent, say hello!

    I had the opportunity to ride some of the course last month (albeit on no sleep) while I was travelling near Geneva. The biggest surprise to me was the number of switchbacks on the climbs in comparison to the more straight roads we have out in the Western USA. The almost continuous angling slowed me down considerably though it will be easier with the roads closed (can avoid the steep right turns). Bear that in mind and best of luck!

    Regards
    Pav

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello from another pen 11'er!

    This has been a great blog, and i hope there's still more to come.

    Worryingly this is not just my first Etape, but also my first ever sportive. Like every other Etape virgin there's a great deal of nervousness about the unknown. One of my friends who has ridden multiple Etapes has offered one piece of advice (well, he's actually said lots, but this is the one he always comes back to)which is 'try to look past the nerves and enjoy the day because you will love the atmosphere, it's incredible, and take time to look at the scenery as Annecy is better to look at than Hackney.'

    I'll see you in Pen 11 (i'm bib no. 10,888, probably wearing a Hackney top). Hopefully we can use the c.11,000 people in front of us as the World's longest lead-out train for our Semnoz sprint finish.

    Dwight

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys! You are all awesome.

    (I realise I've basically written a novel over the last few months so thanks a million for sticking with it).

    James

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi all, thought I'd day hi as the big day approaches.. I too am an Etape virgin but I'm chuffed to bits to see so many stops on the course as I'll be nursing a knee injury I got last Bank Holiday heading up Winnat's Pass in the Peak District for training!
    I'm heading out there on my own, doing this for Macmillan, so if anyone is indeed heading out for an hour when we arrive on the Friday It'd be great to have some company... find me on Facebook :)

    Great blog too James, enjoyed reading about someone in the same predicaments I've been in the past few months! Best of luck on the day, hopefully see some of you in Captains for a celebratory pint!

    Best of luck all :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in pen 11 too. Number 10,720 although I'll probably wait for my friends in pen 12 before crossing the line...you can do that right?

    I've been checking the forecast and it's looking warm (28) and a bit overcast with an outside chance of thunderstorm.

    http://www.accuweather.com/en/fr/quintal/161431/july-weather/161431?monyr=7/1/2013

    good news is sunset is 21:27 so I might not need my lights to get home......

    best of luck,

    Grant

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want you to thank for your time of this wonderful read!!! I definately enjoy every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff of your blog a must read blog! Free Guided Tour Copenhagen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have read your blog it is very helpful for me. I want to say thanks to you. I have bookmark your site for future updates. Horse Riding Essex

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am thankful to you for sharing this plethora of useful information. I found this resource utmost beneficial for me. Thanks a lot for hard work.Bd Tour

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for writing such a good article, I stumbled onto your blog and read a few post. I like your style of writing... custom patches

    ReplyDelete